Is the Lewis seating orthosis the solution to your problems?
Is a Lewis suitable for you?
The Lewis seating orthosis is meant for wheelchair users confronted with a sitting problem, where standard manufacturer’s sitting facility offer insufficient or no solution. Consider:
• pain in the back, shoulders, neck, or the bottom
• fatigue, slouching, tilting to left/right or
• pressure ulcers
• increased freedom of movement
• increased space for breathing
• reduced risk of pressure ulcers
• pain symptoms disappear
• increased space for your organs
• minimal aftercare
• more energy
To prevent or solve sitting-related problems Lewis follows a fitting protocol:
1. Setting a defined backrest angle, resulting in core trunk stability and straightening of the torso
2. Individually customised moulding of the backrest into a back orthosis, for correct support of the spinal column
3. Shaping of individually customised lateral support, whereby skewed slouching (e.g. scoliosis) is opposed and/or prevented
Two types of back orthosis are developed for this purpose: the Monarch and the Icarus.
- Can be mounted in almost any wheelchair
- Setting the correct seat angle to prevent friction in the seating area (prevents sliding down and slouching in the seat)
- uneven pressure distribution, providing relief of the ischial tuberosities and coccyx (tailbone)